While the Maryland flag is fun to show off, there’s a lot more that makes Maryland so unique! Here are our top 5 reasons:
1. Our state sport is jousting! Jousting became Maryland’s state sport in June of 1962 and has remained a spectacle that you have to see to believe. Our team sport is lacrosse.
2. Due to the amount of farms that (were initially) in Maryland, our state drink is milk. If you live in Frederick or the surrounding area, chances are you know about Dairy Made Dairy or South Mountain Creamery. The next time you pour your morning glass, you’ll be showing MD pride!
3. Our state dog is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever, named after the bay region and one of only the few breeds to be developed in the United States! This breed of retriever has two coats – a second outer coat and a fine undercoat which contain many natural oils. Did you know that their coats help protect them from cold water?
4. Do you consider yourself a cat person? In 2001, Maryland adopted the calico as its state cat. Typically featuring a distinctive reddish-orange and black coat, we couldn’t agree more. These cats are almost always female due to their genes. Surprisingly, there is a 3000 to 1 chance of a calico cat being male!
5. We couldn’t go without saying that our Old Bay covered blue crabs (and crabs in general) are the highlight of Maryland. There’s not one place in the world has better crabs than those Maryland blue crabs! Fun fact: many Marylanders learn to properly open a crab before they know how to read.