Picking out the perfect carving tools and being prepared before you start cutting can make a HUGE difference! We handpicked the following pumpkin carving tips, tools, and advice specifically for kids and families.
Check out the chapters of our guide:
- Pick a the perfect carving pumpkin
- Be careful when carving
- Choose an easy and traceable design
- Quick and easy clean up
- Light your pumpkin up!
1. Pick a the perfect carving pumpkin
A safe pumpkin-carving experience starts with choosing the right pumpkin. Here’s how to land the perfect one:
- Look for a pumpkin with smooth, less bumpy skin. A smooth pumpkin is easier for kids to draw on and safer for you to carve.
- Avoid pumpkins that feel heavy for their size. This can indicate thick walls that could be difficult to carve through.
- Skip any pumpkins with soft spots, which can indicate rotting.
- Inspect the pumpkin for any nicks or cuts that may make it vulnerable to infection.
- Pick a pumpkin with a flat, front surface for carving—that will yield the best results.
2. Pumpkin Tip — Be careful when carving
Follow these easy guidelines and help your younger family members create the perfect pumpkin:
- Take your time and use controlled motions.
- Choose a location that is well lit and a work surface that’s sturdy.
- Keep your carving tools and hands dry — have lots of paper towels nearby!
- Use age appropriate carving tools and always supervise young children
3. Pumpkin Advice — Choose an easy and traceable design
Check out this list of pumpkin carving templates that you can use and trace!
4. Quick and Easy Clean Up
Place down newspaper or a disposable table cloth under your work area — simply pick up and dispose after! Gather any pumpkin seeds and keep them to roast later.
5. Pumpkin Design — Light Your Pumpkin Up!
Burning candles are a potential fire hazard, skip the danger and invest in a few LED candle lights instead. Place them out on your porch to show off your masterpiece
Looking for more family friendly activities? Check out how to make homemade slime!